Home Health Care near Roseville, CA – Help Needed During and After Cancer Treatment
There are different types of cancer, and treatment is not always the same. The elderly usually have multiple problems with health, so each treatment plan will be made to fit the individual and work with any other illnesses they have. Doctors will try to cure the senior patient completely, but if that is not possible, they determine the therapy which will help the most, and reduce symptoms as much as possible.
Family members are there to help the elderly senior deal with everyday problems. For extra medical care and help your senior needs in their home, consider hiring home health care services. A nurse or nurse’s aide can assist with home treatments as well as recovery. The side effects of the treatments usually result in fatigue and the need for extra rest. In the latter part of treatment, doctors often encourage patients to remain as active as possible.
There are list of side effects patients may experience. They differ from one person to another, but the most common ones include damaged healthy cells and tissues. Some of the other side effects your senior should be prepared for include:
- The chemotherapy drugs damage some of the healthy blood cells. This results in an increased likelihood of infection, bruises and feeling very fatigued.
- Chemotherapy causes the loss of hair. When it grows back, it may change slightly in color and/or texture.
- Chemotherapy affects appetite and damages the cells lining the digestive tract. Nausea, vomiting and diarrhea may occur. These effects are usually temporary and can often be controlled or treated by the doctor.
- Radiation therapy may be applied externally, in the hospital or clinic. It may last from 5 days or up to several weeks.
- For systemic radiation, the patient would swallow a capsule or receive an injection. Only a few cancer types are treated with this method.
- Radiation therapy may cause nausea and fatigue.
Doctors are available to help along the way, and families are encouraged to ask as many questions as they have. Some of the questions you may ask include:
- What stage has the cancer reached? Can you stop it from spreading, and if so what therapy should you use?
- What can be the side effects, and how can they be managed?
- How can you help your parent who is dealing with this disease?
- Are there any alternative treatments your elderly parent can try? What are the risks, and possible awards? Why is this a better choice, and which one do they recommend?
- How often do they need to receive the treatment?
- What is the cost of those treatments, and does your parent’s insurance cover it?
If you have an aging loved one who needs professional senior care, or are considering home health care services for yourself call Harmony Home Care and talk to our care staff. They will be attentive to your situation, and provide clear and immediate options to help you deal with the difficulties you face. Harmony Home Care provides services for the greater Sacramento, Placer, and El Dorado Counties including: Sacramento, El Dorado Hills, Folsom, Granite Bay, Roseville, Cameron Park, Placerville and surrounding areas. For more information and a FREE assessment CALL (916) 414-9100.