Sardines are an almost forgotten food. Used to be that it was quite common for many people to be familiar with eating sardines. Nowadays it seems fewer and fewer people have ever even tried them! Compared with other protein sources, a can of sardines is very affordable. Not only that, it’s convenient too. It can be taken almost anywhere.
What’s so healthy about sardines?
- Support cardiovascular health with their rich supply of nutrients
- Concentrated source of omega-3 fatty acids
- Excellent source of vitamin B12
- Promotes bone health with their high amounts of vitamin D
- Very good source of phosphorus which strengthens bone
- Packed with protein which provides wide array of amino acids
- Excellent source of selenium
- Good source of copper, niacin, calcium, choline and vitamin B2
- They are one of the healthier fish to eat because they only eat plankton and aren’t contaminated with concentrated heavy metals such as mercury like other fish are
Interesting facts about sardines
- There are 6 different species of sardines
- There are over 20 fish varieties sold as sardines around the world
- Sardines are abundant in the seas of the Pacific and Atlantic as well as Mediterranean
- The world’s leading producers of canned sardines are Portugal, Spain, Norway and France
- Napoleon Bonaparte popularized the canning of sardines.
- Sardines are making a comeback as a popular food source because people are becoming more educated about the importance of omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin D
Serving suggestions for sardines
- Sprinkle them with lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- Try combining sardines with olives, chopped onion or fennel
- Top sardines with herbs such as oregano, basil and rosemary and some chopped tomato
- A sauce made with extra virgin olive oil, pressed garlic, lemon juice, Dijon mustard and salt and pepper is very taste served over sardines
- Break up sardines and toss into your favorite salad
- Toss sardines into your favorite pasta dish
- Mash sardines with a fork and add chopped pickle and a little mayo for a delicious sandwich filling
Your elderly loved one may be more familiar with eating sardines than your generation is, depending on where they grew up. They might have some favorite ways of eating sardines they can share with you.
Eating healthy is such a big part of living healthy; it goes hand in hand with regular daily exercise. These two things are so vital to health especially for elderly loved ones, yet they seem to be neglected first when the loved one is struggling to get everything done because of illness, fatigue, and loss of mobility, depression or other reasons. Maybe it’s time to consider hiring a caregiver through elder care services. This would ensure your loved one isn’t becoming lonely day after day, as well as having someone to help make sure they are eating a healthy diet.
If you have an aging loved one who needs professional elderly care, or are considering home care services for yourself call Harmony Home Health and talk to our care staff. They will be attentive to your situation, and provide clear and immediate options to help you deal with the difficulties you face. Harmony Home Health provides services for the greater Sacramento, Placer, and El Dorado Counties including: Sacramento, El Dorado Hills, Folsom, Granite Bay, Roseville, Cameron Park, Placerville and surrounding areas. For more information and a FREE assessment CALL (916) 414-9100.