Elder Care near El Dorado Hills, CA – 7 Great Ways to Cheer Up Your Senior Parent
When people get sick, their mood goes down as well. It is a normal process. However, it is very important to keep a positive attitude, as this can help in dealing with different illnesses. Loss of energy or appetite are very common in these situations. People tend to lie down a lot, and any fun they have revolves around watching TV or listening to the radio. Senior adults dealing with illness have a tendency to make a wall, isolating everyone and everything from them. Do not let this happen to your loved ones, and always be there for them. At first, they may seem uncomfortable, but it will help them in the long run. Try some of these ideas to cheer up your elderly parent:
- Do some activities together. Preferably, select the ones they might enjoy. Even if it isn’t your favorite thing in the world, try doing it. A simple gesture like this goes a long way and it shows you care for them.
- Spend some time with them. Even if they don’t have the energy or the will to speak to you. You can do your own thing, just be close to them, but be careful not to distract them or make too much noise. They will appreciate your company.
- If they like to read but are unable to, buy them some audiobooks or simply download them from the internet. There is a huge selection, and they aren’t expensive. Or if you have the patience, you can try reading to them out loud yourself.
- Read as much as you can about the illness they are struggling with; try to learn all about it because knowledge and understanding will help you a lot. Learn how to deal with basic everyday problems you will encounter.
- Play them some old tunes from back in the day. Select the ones that may be dear to them. This can make them relive some old treasured memories.
- One of the alternative ways you can deal with this is letting them know about the illness they have. Sometimes the fear of the unknown is far greater than the disease itself.
- Try to be placid and calm in every situation, it will help your loved one deal with their problems as well, and not feel like a burden to you.
Think about hiring elderly home care. A loving caregiver can provide companionship and assistance to your elder parent. Their caregiver will probably become a close friend and someone they can rely on and talk to. It may be just exactly what they need.
If you have an aging loved one who needs professional elder care, or are considering home care services for yourself call Harmony Home Care and talk to our care staff. They will be attentive to your situation, and provide clear and immediate options to help you deal with the difficulties you face. Harmony Home Care provides services for the greater Sacramento, Placer, and El Dorado Counties including: Sacramento, El Dorado Hills, Folsom, Granite Bay, Roseville, Cameron Park, Placerville and surrounding areas. For more information and a FREE assessment CALL (916) 414-9100.