Senior Care in Folsom, CA
It's almost that time of the year to think about spring cleaning. This is also a great time of the year to evaluate and determine if there are any safety issues in the home. According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC), there is a fall for every 1 in 3 adults annually for those over the age of 65. Ensuring the home is safe for your elderly loved one doesn’t have to take a lot of time or money. Below is a list of safety considerations:
In the bathroom:
- Install grab bars in the shower
- Add a comfort-height toilet
- Add lighting
- Installing a walk-in shower (This modification should probably be left to a professional, but it is a very good investment).
- Install a vanity that is wheelchair-accessible
In the kitchens and other areas of the home:
- Since many kitchen floors are made from tile and other materials that can be slick, non-skid mats are a cheap solution to a potentially serious problem.
- Consider moving cooking utensils and other necessary kitchen items in an area that can be easily reached.
- Like in the bathroom and hallways, the kitchen is another place where you can never have too many lights.
- Remove any clutter in the house.
- Tape down loose rugs.
- Make sure a flashlight is close at hand in bathrooms and bedrooms in case of a power outage.
- Nightlights in the bathroom are another good idea.
- Wear shoes that have non-slip soles.
All in all, if you just spend one afternoon in the home of your senior looking for obvious problems, you can save yourself and your senior a great deal of grief and pain.
Harmony Home Care provides senior care services for the greater Sacramento, Placer, and El Dorado Counties including: Sacramento, El Dorado Hills, Folsom, Granite Bay, Roseville, Cameron Park, Placerville and surrounding areas. For more information and a FREE assessment CALL (916) 414-9100.