If you are caring for an aging loved one, or are aging yourself and in need of assistance, here are 10 of the best government agencies that can lend a hand...
1) The National Association of Area Agencies on Aging (n4a), committed to helping you gain information and access to government programs:
2) Eldercare Locator is a public service of the U.S. Administration on Aging. They will connect you and your caregiver with information on Senior Services
3) BenefitsCheckUp is the nation's most comprehensive web-based service on Senior Benefit programs:
4) Medicaid can provide you with medical care and other services if you have limited income and resources:
5) National Family Caregiver Support Program provides grants for supports that assist family and informal caregivers:
Call 1-800-677-1116 to find your local office.
6) Prescription assistance:
7) Food assistance programs: The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) helps you buy the food you need for good health:
8) Heating and Cooling assistance: The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) can help you with your fuel bills so you can stay warm in the winter and cool in the summer.
9) Transportation Resources: The American Public Transportation Association (APTA) work to assure that public transportation is available for all Americans:
10) About one quarter of the nation's population is potentially eligible for VA benefits because they are veterans or are a family member of a veteran: