Receiving the news of your loved one getting a harsh diagnosis or just caring for an aging parent or loved one is a challenging task day in and day out. There is nothing that can truly prepare you for this journey. At Harmony Home Care, we have encountered numerous health related situations involving senior care and aim to be a resource to you beyond just providing loving, in-home caregiving services. These are our top five book recommendations for caregiving.
- We’re In this Together by Rob Harris
- Written from the perspective of a caregiver, We’re In This Together depicts the author’s journey as a caregiver and provides 70 caregiver tips. Topics covered in the book include receiving the news, understanding diagnoses and treatments, spending time in the hospital, becoming a great communicator, handling setbacks and obstacles, and finally, taking care of yourself. New caregivers and veteran caregivers alike can benefit from reading this book and learning tips and advice for what to do if or when a loved one receives a debilitating illness or injury.
- Creating Moments of Joy for the Person With Alzheimer’s or Dementia By Jolene Brackley
- In this book, Brackley communicates her vision and hope that people will soon see past the challenges of Alzheimer’s disease and redirect our focuses on creating moments of joy for those with the disease. Creating Moments of Joy includes practical advice on how to develop situations and moments that will bring joy to those battling Alzheimer’s. Readers will find stories filled with hope, encouragement, advice, and humor to help them navigate caring and establishing meaningful and joyful relationships with loved ones with Alzheimer’s.
- Hope for the Caregiver: Encouraging Words to strengthen Your Sprit by Peter Rosenberger
- “If you love somebody, you will be a caregiver. If you live long enough, you’ll need one.” – Peter Rosenberger. In his book Hope for the Caregiver, Rosenberger shares his thirty-year personal experience as a caregiver to provide practical advice with biblical truths for other caregivers. This book serves as a reminder to fellow caregivers that in every circumstance, God’s presence, strength, and faithfulness can be found. His practical tips also help caregivers to live a healthier, more peaceful, and more joyous life.
- Connecting in the Land of Dementia: Creative Activities to Explore Together by Deborah Shouse
- Anyone who has experienced life with someone with dementia knows that each moment is priceless. In Connecting in the Land of Dementia, author Deborah Shouse collaborates with dozens of other experts in the dementia shield to communicate ideas to engage the creative spirit. These ideas will allow you and your loved ones to continue to live out meaningful moments of connecting. Projects include music, art, movies, cooking, storytelling, gardening, movement and much more to cultivate relationships, restore hope, and re-ignite a sense of purpose for those living with dementia.
- The Gift of Caring: Saving Our Parents of Modern Healthcare by Marcy Cottrell Houle M.S.
- This book is written from the perspective of a medical doctor and combines practical strategies with a powerful personal memoir. In the book, the hidden or discreet side of modern healthcare practices for aging Americans is revealed. Marcy Houle and Elizabeth Eckstrom, MD, MPH share dual perspectives from the story of a daughter seeking help for her parents and a geriatrician who shares strategies that can be life changing in protecting our loved ones and ourselves. This book shares critical knowledge and practical strategies that will empower all older adults, family members and health care professionals alike.
If you have any questions about the caregiving process or are considering professional help for yourself, a parent, spouse, or loved one, call us at 916-933-9777 or visit our website.Our professionals are more than happy to serve those in need of caregiving assistance in Sacramento, El Dorado, Placer, and Yolo counties. For daily tips, advice, and news, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Youtube, and Google Plus.